Animal crossing car accidents
The majority of us have driven down a road while an animal is in the middle of crossing; causing us to panic and possibly get into an accident. If your reaction time isn't good, you can cause a serious accident in your car. This makes it a need to always be aware of potential animal crossings; especially in the countryside.
The reality is that there is a lot of danger caused by animal crossings while driving. The obvious situation is to have a direct accident with an animal. However, that isn't the only potential issue that can arise in that scenario.
If you see an animal crossing the road, you might overreact and spin out of control. Causing you to fall into a ditch, spin out, hit a car near you, or crash into something else. Essentially demonstrating how an animal crossing can cause an onslaught of issues.
Despite the issues surrounding this subject, there isn't a ton of discussion on it. Something that needs to change for the betterment of drivers around the world.
In this article, we're going to look at statistics surrounding animal crossings, causes of these types of accidents, and tips for dealing with this issue. By the end of it, you'll be more knowledgable on the subject which will make you and the people around you better drivers.
Statistics on Animal Crossings & Accidents
As noted, down below are a few statistics surrounding the dangers of animal crossings while driving.
- Approximately 725,000 to 1.5 million wildlife-vehicle collisions (WVCs) in the U.S. every year.
- Over 200 human fatalities every year.
- 2-percent of deer-car collisions cause fatality whereas 85-percent of deer-motorcycle collisions cause fatality.
- Approximately 75,000 deer are killed a year from a vehicle.
- Young drivers are more likely to involved in a WVC.
- Over 26,000 vehicular injuries each year are because of animals.
As you can tell from the statistics, this is a serious issue that isn't getting better. People continue to be more distracted while driving which causes them to get into more accidents like this.
Causes of Animal Crossing Car Accidents
As noted, down below are a few statistics as to how these accidents happen in the first place.
- Distracted driving is the main reason for how these accidents happen. A driver is texting and driving, and next thing they know a deer runs in front of their car; causing them to get in an accident.
- Overreaction tends to happen in situations like this. A person will see an animal and not know what to do. They might spin out of control or hit a nearby car from a freak-out that could've been avoided.
- Sometimes a driver's vision is impaired because of the weather. Making it difficult to comprehend that an animal might be on the street in front of them. Thus, causing an accident.
Tips for Dealing With Animal Crossings
As noted, down below are a few ideas on how to avoid these types of accidents.
- Always be alert. Don't text and drive or do other things while driving. It's better to be safe instead of risking a collision with an animal.
- If it's nighttime and there aren't drivers around you, don't be afraid to use your high-beams. You have them for a reason.
- If you see an animal, don't swerve out of the way. It's better to break or brace for impact than it is to swerve. Serving will only cause a more serious accident.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. If you're in a heavily wooded area, pay a little bit more close attention.
- Remember when the “peak” season is for certain animal crossings. You can find the information online for your local area.
Animal crossings can cause a serious negative impact on a vehicle which is why it's important for all drivers to be more knowledgeable on this subject. If you or someone you know has been injured or suffered damages in a car or motorcycle accident due to someone else's negligence, call us today. Call our office at (865) 888-8888 to speak to an experienced car accident attorney who will answer your questions.