How do potholes affect your ability to drive safely?
Besides the mistakes drivers can make while driving, random occurrences like potholes are a major cause of car accidents. Most of them impacting the direction in which a driver is driving because of their inability to see a pothole beforehand.
Besides accidents, they cause people a ton of money on the damage they can do to a car over time. Driving over a pothole may not seem like much, but it'll eventually cause the slow demise of your vehicle.
In this article, we're going to look at the statistics, causes, and tips surrounding potholes. By the end of it, you'll be more literate on the issue of potholes.
As noted, below are a few statistics on potholes.
- Potholes form by excessive damage on a road over time (By water, heat, and impact)
- A road is most likely to experience a pothole if they experience bad drainage
- Potholes occur in every type of environment (meaning not just snowy cities)
- The average annual cost of vehicle repairs due to a bad road is roughly $300 to $400 USD per individual in the United States
- A third of all traffic fatalities are a result of bad road conditions
- Only 31-percent of US roads are deemed as being in “good condition”
- Vehicle traffic will only increase, making road conditions worse
There are a few reasons why potholes form. Below is a general list as to why potholes form.
- Road wear is the main reason for potholes. Roads get damaged easily; especially over time.
- Weather is the other factor for potholes. The weather can shape and influence the road over time. Especially storms during the winter.
Solutions and Tips
There a number of solutions for potholes. Some of which are self-explanatory. Such as the fixing of roads and money towards that solution. However, there are still things you can do to avoid pothole-related accidents.
Besides bringing up the issue toward your local city, there are a few solutions you can do as a driver to be more aware of potholes. Below is a list of tips for drivers to avoid potholes.
- As noted, talk to your local city council about fixing the roads. Bring up the statistics listed in this article to help you and the people around you drive on safer roads.
- Make sure you leave space between you and the car in front of you. This will allow you to properly look for potholes directly in front of you.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. As a driver, this is self-explanatory, but looking out for potholes should be just as widely known as looking out for wildlife is.
- Avoid puddles at all costs. Puddles are basically potholes with water in them, so try to avoid them when you can.
- Besides overall awareness, make sure your car is in okay shape. Especially your tires and their pressure.
Hopefully, this article will help you avoid the danger of potholes. Allowing you to fully comprehend the issue of potholes and how you can address the issue when you're driving. Just be aware and bring the issue up to your local city council if it's severe enough.
Have you been involved in an auto accident?
If you or a loved one suffered loss and injuries from a car accident, the team from the Law Offices of Betz and Baril is here to help. We offer free case reviews and can help you understand your legal options. We handle all personal cases on a contingency fee basis, so you won't owe us anything unless we recover compensation for you.
Call us today at (865) 888-8888 for your free consultation with a knowledgeable member of our team.