The People's Blog by Betz and Baril


What documentation will my attorney need to pursue my accident claim?

Posted by Jason Baril | Sep 02, 2019 | 0 Comments

car accident documentation

What Documentation do I need for a Car Accident Lawsuit?

If you suffered injuries in a car accident another motorist caused, you deserve compensation for your losses. Before you pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit, however, you can arm your attorney with documentation to support your personal injury case. Attorneys use various documents to prove another driver's negligence caused an accident that injured their clients.

The Law Offices of Betz, and Baril have successfully helped individuals throughout Tennessee pursue compensation for losses they suffered after a car crash. In each instance, we had solid evidence to present to auto insurance companies or to a jury if the case went to court.

Call us today at 865-888-8888 to schedule a free consultation. We can further explain which photographs and other documentation are helpful to an attorney pursuing your claim.

Some people want to know if photographs will help their claim?

After your get in an accident, make sure to turn your car off first, but after that you should take pictures. Photographs help an attorney visualize the accident scene to understand how the crash happened. Accident scene photos can also support statements you or eyewitnesses make about the accident. At our law firm, we not only look at vehicle damage in the photos, we also examine:

  • The location of the crash, such as an intersection, divided highway, or side street;
  • Parties involved in the crash;
  • Physical injuries you and other parties sustained;
  • First responder activity, if police, firefighters, or an ambulance responded to the scene of the accident;
  • Road conditions, especially if your crash occurred on icy, wet, or broken pavement;
  • Nearby traffic signals or road signs; and
  • Roadway marks, such as skid marks and other tire marks.

Taking photos at different angles gives us an overall view of the wreck. We also suggest taking photos of the damaged vehicle's interior, particularly if your airbags deployed or glass shattered inside the vehicle.

Do I Need the Police Report From My Crash?

Obtaining the police report from your crash will give us access to vital information, such as:

  • The name and badge number of the responding officer;
  • Names, contact information, and auto insurance information of the parties involved in the accident;
  • The time, date, and location of the crash;
  • The type of vehicles involved in the wreck;
  • A diagram of the crash;
  • A narrative of the facts of the collision; and
  • Charges filed in the accident.

In cases where a police officer does not respond to an accident scene, we recommend that you go to the local police department in and file a report.

What Documentation Do I Need to Prove My Injuries?

Medical reports serve as proof that you or a loved one sustained injuries in the accident. In an attempt to avoid paying full compensation, insurance adjusters sometimes allege that accident victims had pre-existing conditions prior to the crash. X-rays, diagnostic tests, MRI scans, surgeries, or your treating physician's written statements on the severity of your new injuries can help us counter these allegations.

Medical reports also impact the value of your insurance claim. The more severe your injuries are, the more compensation you can recover to take care of yourself or your loved one. For instance, a traumatic brain injury diagnosis or a spinal cord injury can result in a higher settlement than a whiplash injury.

How Can I Show My Medical Expenses?

You may recover the full cost of medical treatment for the injuries you sustained in the crash. For instance, after the accident, you may have arrived at the hospital via an ambulance before undergoing emergency surgery. After spending time in the hospital, your doctor may transfer you to a rehabilitation facility for physical therapy and further recovery.

These life-saving procedures would leave you with:

  • Ambulance costs;
  • Hospital expenses;
  • Bills from surgeons and anesthesiologists;
  • Rehabilitation costs; and
  • Physical therapy fees.

We recommend you keep receipts for payments you made for ongoing treatment of your auto accident injuries. We will submit these receipts along with your claim.

What About My Time Missed From Work?

An injury accident can keep you away from work for an indefinite period of time. This means that you may lose income and have difficulties paying your bills. You can recover your lost wages by asking your employer to provide documents showing the time you spent off work and how much income you lost as a result of your accident.

Do I Need Documentation of My Vehicle Repair or Replacement Costs?

You can recover compensation to pay for your car repair or replacement. We recommend getting two or three vehicle repair estimates we can include in your claim. If the crash totaled your vehicle, we can determine your car's actual value before seeking reimbursement.

How Can I Get Help With My Auto Accident Claim?

The Law Offices of Betz, and Baril, can help you file a claim to recover compensation for your accident-related damages. Call us today at 865-888-8888 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. We work on contingency, so if we take your case, you do not pay us unless we win a favorable outcome for you.

About the Author

Jason Baril

Jason has spent his entire career fight for those who need help and often times do not get the help they need. In addition to Immigration Law, Jason has worked on Criminal, Social Security Disability and Personal Injury cases which gives him diverse experience on many legal issues. 


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Attorneys dedicated to outstanding service

Betz and Baril are attorneys dedicated to providing you with the best legal services possible. We understand that your situation may be tough, but that is why you need a team like ours, who truly care about helping you to receive the compensation you deserve, so you can get back to living your life. You shouldn’t have to suffer from injuries due to someone else’s negligence. If you’ve been injured from faulty medical devices, faulty medicine, or you’ve been injured in a car or truck accident, we are here to help. Schedule a FREE Consultation

Contact us Today

Betz and Baril is committed to answering your questions about Accidents, Social Security DIsability and Mass Torts law issues in Knoxville, Tennessee.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.